I did a search on depression online and I found a list of worst things to say to a depressed person which I totally agree. They might sound like advice to many of you. In fact MOST of my friends will give me such advices, especially the guys. Unfortunately, these words are not advice, the only make me feel worse. So if you are going to tell me something, please don't tell me those stuff in the list below. And please don't tell these stuff to YH or any other depressed people.
The list was long but I only pick out some which I think are really bad. I have heard most of these statements and it really suck when you are confiding with someone and someone tells you that. YX has said alot of the below lines to me and they made me very upset. haiz.... Think he can't be bothered now even to say the below lines.
1. "Will you stop that constant whining? What makes you think that anyone cares?"
2. "Have you gotten tired yet of all this me-me-me stuff?"
3. "But it's all in your mind."
4. "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps."
5. "Why don't you just grow up?"
6. "Stop feeling sorry for yourself."
7. "There are a lot of people worse off than you?"
8. "Happiness is a choice"
9. "You are what you think."
10. "You're always feeling sorry for yourself."
11. "Why can't you just be normal?"
12. "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
13. "Well, everyone gets depressed sometimes!"
14. "You don't *look* depressed!"
15. "You're so selfish!"
16. "You never think of anyone but yourself."
17. "You're just looking for attention."
18. "The only one you're hurting is yourself."
19. "You can do anything you want if you just set your mind to it."
20. "You can make the choice for depression and its effects, or against depression, it's all in YOUR hands."
21. "Snap out of it, will you?"
22. "You *want* to feel this way."
23. "You're always worried about *your* problems."
24. "Your problems aren't that big."
25. "Nobody is responsible for your depression."
26. "You don't like feeling that way? So, change it."
Depression is not a choice. I didn't CHOOSE to be depressed. I chose to be happy but I just can't feel it. Many people told me to change my state of mind and think positive. I tried that too but it's just lying to myself. The feeling is like.. Imagine I ask you to believe that the globe is a cube. You try hard to believe that but you know deep down that it's round.
It's that kind of feeling. I chose to be happy and I put in lots of efforts to be happy. I wasn't sitting on my depression waiting for it to heal itself. I have made attempts but it doesn't work.
"You never think of anyone but yourself."
Someone told me this too which is not true. I did think alot about other people too. In fact, I got to know another girl who is depressed too and I often listen to her talk and try to relate to her feelings. If I do not think of anyone else, I would have died long time ago.
Haiz.. everything sucks.