Monday, March 26, 2007

Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time

Recently I bought a book. It was a long long time since I last bought a book to read. My friend recommended this book to me, told me it's an award winning book. I read abit of the book in the bookstore and it is my kind of novel so I bought it. $15. Actually I rented it from a rental store la but I dun intend to return it lor. So it's mine from now on!!!

The title is 'The curious incident of the dog in the night-time'. The story was told through the point of view of an autistic child, Christopher. He found a corpse of a dog one night with a garden fork sticking out of it. He then tried to find out who the murderer is by gathering evidence.

Christopher's autism plays a particularly active role in his detective work, especially when it comes to his association with others. As we find out in the opening chapters of the book, Christopher is easily frustrated when he encounters situations to which he doesn't know how to react.

Actually the focus of the book is not on the murder of the dog. It is to tell readers how autistic children think and how they interpret things. I got this quote from a review in a website.

'After all, neither Haddon nor the reader really cares about that dog (or at least I didn't). The novel is a much bigger picture than that: about how a child's illness can effect not only his life, but the lives of his parents and loved ones as well.'

Quite interesting la. Maybe u all can read if got time but i doubt so lor. For one, May and YH confirm won't read this kind of novel ba... May like love stories.. hahaha

No comments: